Bottoms Up! is a home based/peer learning tuition programme which is a shift away from drills. Bottoms Up! aims to provide children with enrichment work and exam preparations towards life skills such as teamwork, public speaking and creative thinking as that is a positive move in the direction of education for our children. Tutees of Bottoms Up! a.k.a Bottoms Uppers have gained motivation towards learning, greater confidence and a clearer sense of their personal goals.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Dream Pupil

Me, Nurul and our kiddos at Jalan Bahar for the P5 3 Days 2 Nights Camp 2 years ago


Mdm Nurul Asyikin Norman, a mother of one (and another on the way!) used to be my colleague.
She was there (still is!) every step of my way, providing emotional support, enthusiastic encouragement and an authentic friendship.
She is also an amazing teacher who is suited to teach children who are struggling and has no problems at all 'stretching' high ability pupils.
An all rounder, this wonderful friend of mine.
Hey you superwoman, I know you are really busy in school and at home so here's a BIG thank you for your valuable contribution to this blog.
I truly admire your sincere desire to make a difference in the lives that you touch.



Nurul and her P6 class who aced the PSLE! Congrats!

The Dream Pupil

What’s the definition of a dream pupil? Here’s a list that most teachers would agree.

A dream pupil is one who:
- Sits quietly in class.
- Participates actively in all lessons.
- Is attentive while the teacher is teaching.
- Studious and eager to seek new knowledge.
- Does all school and homework assigned by the teacher promptly.

When I first taught in an all-girls’ school, I found many pupils with the above qualities and left the school with sweet memories of the pupils to further my studies. Thereafter, I was posted to my current school.

Imagine my horror when I was assigned to teach the EM3 class. During my second year teaching there, I was teaching the 6 EM3, a graduating class. One of the pupils, let’s call him K, was infamously naughty. However, after building a rapport with him, he started to show a drastic change in behaviour. Albeit not possessing all the qualities in the above list, I was touched to see how these low performing pupils tried their best.

K obviously does not transform to be an angel but he tried to please me. When my lessons were being observed by foreign visitors from Qatar and a professor from Australia and the principal, K tried to be engaged in the lesson like the rest though he hated group work. Later, he admitted to me that he almost misbehaved because he was ticked off a particular person earlier – which he often was. Fortunately he thought of me. I cannot imagine the horror!

He did very well in his PSLE and went to the school of his choice though he continued to cause problems. Last I heard from him, he told me he was suspended from school. :(

He visited me last year with a few ruffian-looking friends and they told me that K told them a lot about me. He told me later that I was his favourite teacher.

A dream pupil may not come from the best schools. He may not necessarily possess all the above-mentioned qualities. However, the fact that they do try and show an eagerness to be better is good enough for you to remember them throughout your life.