Bottoms Up! is a home based/peer learning tuition programme which is a shift away from drills. Bottoms Up! aims to provide children with enrichment work and exam preparations towards life skills such as teamwork, public speaking and creative thinking as that is a positive move in the direction of education for our children. Tutees of Bottoms Up! a.k.a Bottoms Uppers have gained motivation towards learning, greater confidence and a clearer sense of their personal goals.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Student Athlete


This charming guy in the picture above was an ex pupil of the school I formerly taught at.
He is truly destined to be great in sports.
During the Sports Day, he would sweep the trophies.
On top of that, I still remember him as an outstanding soccer player at the field.
A very tenacious player, giving his very best in every game.
That, plus the fact that he is a very good looking lad...hmmm..no wonder the girls went goo goo gaa gaa over him back then.
His ex form teacher, also my former colleague, Mrs Tan Kok Fen, would always sing praises of this amazing boy because he not only has a handsome exterior, he is a kind- hearted, helpful and a very humble boy.

Khairul is now a student athlete at the Singapore Sports School which provides a conducive academic and training environment for teenagers aspiring to be sports athletes.
See! I told you this boy is gifted in sports, especially soccer.

My fellow tutees, especially my boys who spend hours playing soccer after school, maybe you should take down all your 'Cristiano Ronaldo',' David Beckham' posters and paste that of Khairul's.
K, all the best for your 'O' levels dear and I thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
Love,
Mdm Nura

An interview with Khairul Karim


Hi Khairul! How are you? It's been years. How old are you now?
Hi. I'm doing great, Mdm Nura. I will be turning 16 this year.

Are you enjoying yourself at Singapore Sports School?
Of course! I am enjoying my time here. It is really fun!

When did you find out that you were accepted to Singapore Sports School?
An interview was actually conducted between the principal and directors of sports before the release of my PSLE results then. The motive of the interview was for them to find out how confident I am and also to see whether I have what it takes to be a promising athlete.

Must you attain a certain aggregate or achieve a particular grade to enter Singapore Sports School?
If your aggregate is good, there is a high chance for you to be accepted. Plus, you must go through the selection trials held in our school during its annual open house.
When you found out you were going to be a student athlete at the Singapore Sports School, how did you feel?
I felt like I was on top of the world! It was really a proud moment for me and my family.

Share with us your schedule in school, Khairul!
My daily schedule is very tight.
0630 - 0730 hrs - Morning training

0800 - 0830 hrs - Breakfast

0900 - 1400 hrs - Lessons (Lunch will be at 1200 - 1230 hrs)

There will be a rest time after school.

1600 - 1830 hrs - Afternoon training.

1900 - 1925 hrs - Dinner

1925 - 2100 hrs - Supervised Study Time (SST)

2105 - 2200 hrs - Recreation Time.


Wow! What a structured and disciplined routine! No wonder, you are thriving!
Anyway, do you get to go home after a long day at school or are you staying at the hostel?
I stay at the hostel from Mondays to Fridays. After my training session on Friday evenings, I will check out to go home and then report back to my campus on Sunday evenings.

Are you only close to the soccer guys?
I am not only close with the soccer boys. Staying in a boarding school gives you the chance to interact with the other student athletes from the other core sports such as badminton, bowling, swimming. You will get to know everyone in the school well in this way and this has made my stay in the school very enjoyable.

What advice would you share with your juniors who love sports?
To those who really love sports, work hard and try and get yourself to the Sports School where they will bring you to the next level with the fantastic coaches they hire. You must be committed and keep persevering to achieve your premium goal. If you do not get accepted, don't be disappointed. Just keep working harder and prove to the rest that you are worth an athlete to be respected and who knows you might be the next sporting hero of Singapore in the future. All the best!