Bottoms Up! is a home based/peer learning tuition programme which is a shift away from drills. Bottoms Up! aims to provide children with enrichment work and exam preparations towards life skills such as teamwork, public speaking and creative thinking as that is a positive move in the direction of education for our children. Tutees of Bottoms Up! a.k.a Bottoms Uppers have gained motivation towards learning, greater confidence and a clearer sense of their personal goals.

Saturday, December 19, 2009

So what if I am a Normal Tech student?

Let me proudly introduce you to our first male and guest blogger.
He is my neighbour (just 2 doors away!) and also a fellow Facebook contact of mine.
While I was online on Facebook this morning, I saw his status update which was wonderful news!
I was one of the many people who congratulated him for being one of the top Normal Technical students in his school.
Yesterday was the release of the N level results.
Thus, I invited him to share his inspiring story with us.

Wann, I may not be your teacher but I am definitely proud of you. All your hard work studying at the CC across the road paid off ya! Now that you have graduated from your secondary school with distinctions, you are no longer a 'champion under construction' but a true champion indeed. I know you hope to be an IT teacher, radio deejay and TV journalist. Who knows 10 years down the road, I'll hear you on RIA, Class 95? OR see you anchor Channel News Asia? Hehe! I definitely won't be surprised, Wann because you truly deserve it.
Thank you for being a positive role model not only to my fellow Bottoms Uppers but to our readers as well! :)
Cheers!
Mdm Nura


Wann Hamzzah Ramllan
Former Student of Boon Lay Secondary School

"Hey, there are a lot of gangsters and naughty friends in Normal Technical (NT) class, be careful!"

Let me tell you something. Cover your ears and just go for it! To me, it doesn't matter if you are posted to Normal Technical, Normal Academic or even Express stream. We are all the same, wanting to achieve only the best in education and gain experiences!

To be honest, I was so disappointed after receiving my PSLE Results in 2005.

My target was to enter the Normal Academic stream, or even better, Express but my dream didn't come true. I went back home and showed my sad face to my mum.
She asked me, "How did you do, dear?! Manage to go Secondary School?"
I told her that I managed to go Secondary School but was posted to the Normal Technical stream. She was so happy because her eldest son made it to Secondary School and started calling all her friends to share the 'good' news and even treated me to lunch at Burger King!

I've heard and still am hearing a lot of negative comments from my relatives and others who feel that Normal Technical is a very bad stream.

'You wouldn't be able to focus on your studies and you will surely be influenced by those naughty students,' they often said. I was like, "Come on! You people should give me the support!"

Frankly speaking, I really enjoyed being a Normal Technical student for 4 years. We were the best Normal Technical class for 4 years in a row in my school! Everywhere we go, the teachers would praise and motivate us to go further. I was offered to be 'promoted' to Normal Academic stream but I rejected that offer because I was afraid I could not cope. Besides, I was contented being a Normal Technical student.

During the 4 years in Boon Lay Secondary School, I enjoyed being a photographer and helping my juniors with computers & website editing (basic).

We must have interest in what we do and believe in ourselves.

Being in the Normal Technical stream is really not a big deal because we can still manage to climb the academic ladder and go to to University.
I'm sure you've seen and heard of Normal Technical students in ITE who have successfully made it to Polytechnic and then moved on to University to get their degree etc.

In Normal Technical stream, you will learn subjects you have learnt when you were in Primary 6 and slowly, after mastery, more complicated modules like Business & Technical Studies will be introduced.

However, don't give up!
As a Normal Technical student, you can still do EVERYTHING you want.

You can win trophies, certificates, medals and even attain excellent results!

My class won 1st Placing for a Photography Competition, 2nd Place for Model Class Award. We were featured in the local malay newspaper, Berita Harian during Racial Harmony Day and many more! Recently on December 18th, I was a nervous wreck on the day the N-Level results were released. I wasn't expecting anything, but just a pass for my examinations. After my Vice-Principal announced the Top Normal Academic Students, it was time for the Top Normal Technical Students. I was extremely surprised when I saw my name and my photo on the screen.

Can you spot me, the bespectacled guy as well the proudest one flashing his results!


I have always admired the pictures of the past top pupils of my school on the board. Now, my picture will join them. :)

I got 3 distinctions for Business, Computer Applications & Malay Language. My English wasn't that good but I'm happy with it as I got "C", while Science, I thought I couldn't pass but I did! Sadly, I didn't ace my Maths. However I will continue to revise my Mathematics and improve on those weak chapters.
I am now looking for a suitable ITE Course to enrol in next year.

Currently, I am working as a volunteer in Photography with the Berita Harian, as well as The Straits Times, IN Section. My school has invited me to return next year and help them with photography and many other things!

I am also known as MASTERWann on internet as an Internet Radio Deejay on HabboSoup.me. (:
To the Non-Normal Technicals, please do not underestimate us. Just like you, we are human beings and have our own dreams and talents. Anyone can go far and yesterday, there were a lot of Normal Technical students who achieved fantastic results. I am so proud of them! We are so proud of us! I am proud to be a Normal Technical student!

Juniors, I wish you all the best. Please don't give up easily! Study and work hard for your exams, especially those who are sitting for PSLE, because that's the first step.

Believe in yourselves and I hope to see good news from Mdm Nura through this blog :P