Bottoms Up! is a home based/peer learning tuition programme which is a shift away from drills. Bottoms Up! aims to provide children with enrichment work and exam preparations towards life skills such as teamwork, public speaking and creative thinking as that is a positive move in the direction of education for our children. Tutees of Bottoms Up! a.k.a Bottoms Uppers have gained motivation towards learning, greater confidence and a clearer sense of their personal goals.

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Secondary One Orientation

I have always loved reading Thevagaran's compositions. He is a 12 year old avid reader with a flair for writing.Theva was my former pupil and will continue to be my tutee for next year, along with some other Secondary 1 kiddos (yes, all former tutees!)
Anyway the school posting results were released and he is extremely pleased that he will be going to a secondary school of his choice. We chatted over the phone yesterday and he was sharing with me how happy he was to step foot into that huge school. I then asked him,'Would you like to write a composition about the orientation, Theva?'
He confidently replied,' Why not, Mdm Nura! Sure.'
So people, I present to you, Theva's 'Orientation.'
Cheers!
Nura

That's my charming Theva in red!
Align Center




ORIENTATION by Thevagaran Alagan

The earth was bathed in a warm rosy glow. The rays of the sun filtered through the window panes and I could hear the faint whispering of the breeze. I woke up and stretched out my limbs.

I took a quick shower. Shortly after, I worshipped my God and thanked him for granting my wish. I have always wished to enter this school and my wish is granted. I will continue to work hard to pursue my dreams. After my parents and sister got ready, we started our journey from my home in Jurong East to my new school at Clementi.

While I was in the car, I was dreaming about how handsome I will look in my new uniform, my new classmates and the fun that I will be having for the next few years in this wonderful school I am posted to. My mind was whirling with excitement.

When the car entered the school, my eyes widened and my jaw dropped because the school was so huge compared to my previous primary school! A school prefect politely asked me for my ez-link card for identification purposes. He then showed me the way to my new class. When I entered my classroom, I met my teacher. Her chubby cheeks gave off a rosy glow and her skin was extremely soft and fine. With a pretty and sweet teacher like her, I will definitely look forward to coming to school. She asked me some questions during the registration. Luckily, I managed to answer all the of them correctly in a confident manner. She seemed impressed.

After confirming our attendance, we played ice breaker games to 'warm-up' the class by helping us get to know one another since we came from different primary schools.

Some of the student leaders also taught our class some really cool cheers as we will be having a camp next month. I am so excited for the camp. I know I will make more friends and together, we will pick up communication and cooperation skills.

I wished the fun orientation would never have to end but it did.
I took some time to explore the school. My parents have already bought my new uniform and textbooks.

I cannot wait to begin my new adventure in my new school. 2010 and the coming years in my dream school will surely be memorable.