Bottoms Up! is a home based/peer learning tuition programme which is a shift away from drills. Bottoms Up! aims to provide children with enrichment work and exam preparations towards life skills such as teamwork, public speaking and creative thinking as that is a positive move in the direction of education for our children. Tutees of Bottoms Up! a.k.a Bottoms Uppers have gained motivation towards learning, greater confidence and a clearer sense of their personal goals.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Confessions of a TOP Tutee

When I was in Primary 4, I disliked Mathematics .
I always did not want to pay attention while my teacher was teaching Maths as I knew that I could never pass the subject.
In my mind, Maths was always the hardest subject.
For my SA2 exam 2 years ago, I did very poorly and failed my Maths.
Therefore, I was advised to take Foundation Maths in p5 and P6.

When I was in Primary 5, Mdm Nura was my form teacher. When she taught Maths, I realised that Maths was not that hard after all. She taught us Maths slowly. When my classmates didn't understand, she would try to explain until the whole class understood.
She would use funny terms like Transformers, King Kong, Goldilocks and the 3 bears to make the Maths lessons interesting.

I decided to be serious in my studies under Mdm Nura's guidance. Everytime I looked at her, I knew there was hope for me. I did not want to disappoint Mdm Nura.
I managed to pass my Foundation Maths for my P5 final year exams!

2009 was a sad year for my class. Mdm Nura told us that she would no longer be teaching our class but will help when we need her. I was worried for myself. When Mdm Nura left, my class was disastrous. My classmates who were very afraid of Mdm Nura was rude to the teacher who took over. That teacher quit because the class was terrible. When another teacher took over, she also had a hard time because we were all very naughty. Especially the boys. In front of Mdm Nura, they will act good.

I knew then that it was impossible for me to focus when I was in class. I had to depend on tuition and self study. I called Mdm Nura and asked her to tutor me. Soon, nearly half the class decided to join Mdm Nura's tuition! What I really liked about Mdm Nura's lessons at her home is that Mdm Nura was very different from other tuition teachers. She did not ask us to buy assessment books and ask us to do the revision tests.
Instead, she would create herself fun and challenging worksheets for us to discuss and do.

Whenever we got the question wrong, she would teach us how to do it.
Tuition was so fun. It was not like the everyday learning like school. Sometimes she would read to us some storybooks she borrowed from the library that were really meaningful and inspiring. She also showed us some movies which I found to be very interesting. Even though having tuition could be quite tiring (because my friends and I would rush to Mdm Nura's house after taking our lunch at the school canteen), it was worth it.
When our PSLE results were released recently, my dream came true.

I scored B for English and Grade 2 for Foundation Maths.
I was the top pupil in my class and also top Bottoms Up! tutee.
I was given the choice to go to Normal Academic Stream.

There were only 4 of us from my class who could switch to the Normal Academic Stream and all of us are Mdm Nura's tutees!


Mdm Nura was at the school hall on that day to offer us morale support.
I hugged my best teacher ever. Thank you Mdm Nura. I will never forget you.

Written by: Nur Zayma
Vetted by: Mdm Nura

Dearest Zayma,
Thank you for such a wonderful piece.
From day one, I knew deep down that you would ace because you are such a focused and matured girl who is very determined. Love your neat handwriting too! Well done, Zayma. I hope you will continue to excel in secondary school. Congrats on your fantastic results. Continue to set your standards high, Z , because you deserve the best! Don't be a coward. Be the last one to quit and first to speak! May you soar above the clouds and let your dreams set you free! :)
Mdm Nura